To support the growth of our markets, we are seeking a talented Electrical Project Engineer to lead the project development effort nationally and speed up the effort in California.
The applicant for this position will be responsible for the electrical engineering and construction of floating solar energy projects. You will be responsible for managing conceptual project designs and the selected engineering firms in order to complete final detailed designs for projects to be built. You will be the expert regarding all electrical aspects of the projects and will develop the tools to structure the electrical department. The electrical systems of these projects utilize inverter-based floating solar generators that include 1500V DC wiring systems, 34.5kV AC medium voltage collection/distribution circuits, collector substations to step-up power, and transmission line interconnections to the grid at high voltages.
- Develop project designs that comply with all critical owner and interconnection requirements (grid code compliance)
- Lead detailed design reviews of electrical drawings: DC solar, AC collection system for solar, substation, and transmission line
- Define the scope of all required electrical system studies and review results for accuracy and compliance
- Ensure that critical dates related to electrical engineering tasks are met on time
- Work on new cutting-edge projects such as hybridization and coupling hydraulic dams / battery storage with the floating PV farms.
- Submit and manage new Generation Interconnection Requests
- Perform power flow analysis and market related evaluations as part of generation and transmission development activities.
- Provide grid, transmission system planning and congestion evaluation, to assist in development activities.
- Review utility and ISO transmission expansion plans to identify potential opportunities.
- Review utility interconnection studies (impact, stability and facility).
- Develop conceptual design of interconnection facilities and costs.
- Provide technical assistance during project design and construction for interconnection related issues.
- Engage and create long term relationships with technical experts among stakeholders, utilities, RTO/ISOs.
Procurement and Construction:
- Review bids for electrical material supply. Support the purchasing of this equipment and manage suppliers throughout the engineering and commissioning process.
- Monitor construction progress both remotely and via on-site inspections and support resolution of any field issues. Attend on-site meetings with electrical construction contractors and in person coordination meetings with interconnection utilities.
- Perform factory/equipment inspection and witness factory acceptance testing for major materials.
Electrical Engineering Responsibilities:
- Prepare and validate electrical energy calculations and losses
- Assist in developing project specific construction, engineering, and equipment specifications
- Assist in the development of new projects by analyzing conceptual designs and RFQ specifications
- Coordinate with operations engineering worldwide (Taiwan, Japan) to incorporate lessons learned into new design reviews and specifications to continuously improve quality standards
- Benchmark of up-to-date industry technology through various training sessions and conferences
What we offer
There are many exciting reasons to join the Laketricity team. We provide competitive salaries, quality medical and dental care, 401K and a generous PTO plan.
We are deeply engaged in the development of the fast-evolving and international floating PV market, which implies experience and a high-level of expertise, and we have the ambition to remain leaders and go further to realize its potential.
Working at Laketricity means something for each of our co-workers. As an innovative and eco-friendly company, we share strong human qualities and values in connection with the energy transition. We give every employee the opportunity to express his/her potential by providing autonomy and encouraging initiative among dynamic multicultural teams.
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering or related degree
- Knowledge of power systems
- At least 2-3 years of relevant work experience
- Experience with HV/MV electrical infrastructure (substations/switchyards, distribution systems, transmission lines, transformers.)
- General knowledge of interpreting and applying common industry standards and codes
- Knowledge of FERC, NERC standards related to transmission and interconnections
- Experienced in the use of power flow software such as PSS/E, TARA, PowerWorld or similar software package a plus.
- General knowledge of SCADA systems a plus.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, Visio.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Ability to concurrently coordinate and manage multiple projects with various teams
- Strong verbal and written communications skills. French language would be a plus.
- Self-starter; detailed and problem-solving oriented.